You may or may not have caught the latest on my Instagram story, but in case you haven’t, here’s our home update and some pictures of what’s going on.
As I mentioned in Part I of our House Update, two days after we closed on our existing house our builder called to tell us that they had to raise the price on our house by a lot of money. They offered us the option of backing out of the house and getting our full earnest money back.
Some of you might have thought that this call was a sign from God that we should walk and you definitely made your voices heard on the first post. There might have been 2/100 comments that said to move forward with the house regardless of the increase. Even Cody asked me if I felt like this was the sign I had been looking for if we were making the right decision.
In actuality, I felt the opposite.
The fact that it happened immediately after we closed on our home made me feel like God was still telling us we were making the right decision. If that call had occurred while we were still in ownership of our current home then I would have been more inclined to back out and just stay put. I do, afterall, love the home we’ve created for ourselves. But our safety blanket was gone and this housing market is scary for buyers, as I’m sure you all already know. If we backed out we would have to rent or try to find another home.
The first thing we did after that call was hop on Zillow and see what else was on the market and that really did confirm what we had already known: even with the price increase, we were still getting a fair deal.
When we looked at other houses the size we needed, they were much older and needed tons of remodeling which is something we were ok with 4 years ago, but at this point, if we’re going to do that much work we would really rather it be on a new construction project. The reason for this is because the house we currently live in had foundation issues this year and we had to get it fixed before we could sell it. Other houses on our street are having the same problem and I’ve learned that foundation issues on older homes are pretty much a given here in Northern Dallas. At least with a new build, there are things we could do to help prevent it and if it does occur, it won’t be for awhile down the line.
We also talked to our real estate agent as well as our friends that are in real estate as well. One friend in particular is the individual that told us about the community in the first place. He works in commercial real estate here in Dallas and truly believes that our home will be worth double what we’re paying in 10 years.
So after a lot of thought, we agreed to the price increase and since then we have broken ground.
They have graded our property and started the plumbing install. If we have good weather this week, we’re hoping we can get our foundation poured as well.
We’re trying to put the bad news behind us and celebrate all the progress that is occurring.
We drive by the neighborhood all the time just to see everything that is developing in the area. So much of it was farmland this time last year and looks completely different now. I love seeing the landscape change and imaging our family growing here.
Since Covid, I’ve really wanted to settle into our forever home. All I think about morning, noon and night is how I can make this new house perfect for everyone. I’ll be putting together a blog post this month with a mood board and furniture we’re ordering so if you’re in the market or trying to refresh some areas in your home, I hope it will bring you some inspiration.